Monday, February 17, 2014

Shrimp in Mushroom and Pea Cream Sauce over Spaghetti Squash

I have always wanted to try spaghetti squash so I went on the search on how to cook it and how to use it. Many people used it in place of noodles, so I gave it a try!



To cook the squash:
I roasted it. I cut it in half length wise and scooped all the seeds and yuck out of it and rinsed it well. I then poked a bunch of holes using a fork in the skin, rubbed the skin with olive oil and placed each half skin side up in a pan and cooked for 45min at 350. I let it cool for a good 15-20 minutes. Then took a fork and scraped the inside and it pulled apart like spaghetti noodles.

Mushroom and Pea Cream Sauce:
1tbs butter
1tbs olive oil1/2 cup diced white mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic pressed or minced
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup dry white wine
Salt and Pepper to taste
(Theses are all eyeball measurements like most of my off the top of my head recipes are)

Heat medium pot and add butter and olive oil.
Add onion till transparent, then add garlic and mushrooms.
After mushroom start to cook add peas.
Add wine and turn heat to low and add cream. S&P to taste. Simmer on low till peas are heated thru.

Shrimp:
I used my cast-iron skillet. Heated a little olive oil. Seasoned the shrimp with garlic salt and old bay. Cooked on med-high to get a little crust. Used to top.

Feedback:
My dad and I really liked this but you have to go in knowing it is not noodles because it taste nothing like noodles to me. My son was not a fan of the squash and my husband said the sauce needed to be thicker but was tasty. Squash need butter and seasoning as should be a side and use real noodles. It didn't mess with my tummy either for my IBD peeps.

Try your own version and let me know how it turns out!

Enjoy!

~Mrs. Milly~


No comments:

Post a Comment